Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Beating the Odds

If you are anything like me, you question what is going on with this world. It is so easy to stop believing when you turn on the tv and every channel is talking about this disaster, or this war, or this tough economy.........you get the picture. I have gotten to the point that I hate to turn on the tv. As most of you also know, I have a fish tank. I started out with 3 fish, and now have about 40. I was up to over 90, but due to some deaths and "thinning of the tank", I now have a more manageable number. I have had to learn to let the cycle of life go on as new babies are born into a tank of mean adults. I have learned I can't save the world of fish, and that is just a fact. Several weeks ago I cleaned out the tank and discovered a new baby in the tank. It was just barely visible to the naked eye. I carefully scooped him out of the tank and then put him in a cup. I debated about keeping him in the cup for awhile, but made the decision to put him back in the tank. If it was meant to be, he would survive. Secretly I prayed for this little fishies survival and actually dreaded going to look at the tank each day knowing I would no longer see my new little buddy. But every day, I would find him hidden in the little plastic algae tree I have in that tank. He would quickly come out to grab a bite of falling food and just as quickly head back into his plastic sanctuary. And everyday I prayed harder and harder for this little guy to survive. Well, that was three weeks ago and I am proud to say my little fighter made it!!!! He is swimming happily with all the "big meanies" in the tank. He or she is a fraction of their size and continues to grow each day. My little fish beat all the odds. Coincidence? I think not. I think a much mightier hand then yours or mine was clearly at work here.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Speck???

The Hunt's, Inc. said...

Well, Speck Sr., I nurtured carefully in a separate bowl and he ended up dying after two weeks. I think he missed the big meanies. But, Speck Jr. is who the story is about. I figured since the outcome with Speck Sr. did not go so well, I would let Speck Jr. be in the big tank and leave it up to the Big Man upstairs.