Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What do you see?


When you look at the above picture what colors do you see? Do you know what a child with autism sees? He/She sees black and white. Not only in the above picture, but a child with autism lives in a black and white world. Children with autism are very literal thinkers. If you tell a child with autism, "It's raining cats and dogs outside, they will look outside to see the cats and dogs." Children with autism also live in a world of perception is reality. When you say to Tony, "I will be back in a little while", you better define "a little while". Being the mom of children with autism has taught me so much in life. I have learned to become much more precise in my speech. I talk more literally. I also understand when I tell my sons something, they see it as a promise. I am now working hard on the world to learn this, too.

No comments: