Saturday, March 31, 2012

Priceless

I received a phone call yesterday from Jeff. He was calling to tell me that he had signed the two of us up to do a volunteer event today. I asked what we would be doing and he said, "I don't know, it is an Easter event at an elementary school." My first thought was, "I hope it rains." It has been a long, difficult week and the thought of giving my time to benefit somebody else was nothing I was looking to do. When I went to bed it was pouring. When I woke up at 6, it had stopped raining. Still not really feeling like going, I thought of telling him I was going to stay home. I heard him jump into the shower and started viewing this as an opportunity to have some one on one time with my son. We pulled up to the school and I was amazed. The event was a city wide park and recreation event designed for children up to age 7. Lots of peope everywhere and even cops directing traffic. We eventually found where we needed to be and got our assingnment. I was so thankful when we were NOT assigned to do face painting. Our assignment was the 6-7 year old egg hunt. We reported to our field and helped lay down about 2000 eggs. We were soon alone in the field and left to "guard" it until the race began. We answered many questions during that time. About 30 minutes before the race started a mom approached me and asked if she would be allowed on the field with her autistic son. My first reaction, having autistic children myself was to say yes, but then I remembered the director specifically telling us "NO PARENTS". I explained to the mom that I totally understood where she was coming from, but I would have to ask. She told me she would be back in 10 minutes. I sent Jeff to ask the director and the answer was "of course she can!" Jeff came back with a smile on his face and I didn't even have to ask what the answer was. The mom returned and I gave her two thumbs up. The smile on her face was priceless. The hunt began and I quickly scanned the field for that mom and son. I located them and the smiles on their faces were once again priceless. After only 5 minutes all 2000 eggs had been picked up. Our next assignment was to help give out prizes at the prize booth. I was thrilled to see my autistic buddy had found an egg that earned him a prize. While they were walking away, the mom turned to me and and now she gave me two thumbs up. I know the smile on my face as well as the smile on my heart was priceless. On our way home I thanked Jeff for signing me up. I need to get out and do more of this. I probably will never see that mom and son again, but the site of them and their smiles will be etched in my mind and heart forever.

No comments: